Thursday, September 27, 2012

There is nothing quite like being awakened in the middle of the night by the relentless shouts of a person completely lacking self-control. I'm talking, of course, about drunk people. Last night, a group of several drunk men and one gratingly loud young lady perched on our roof (so, maybe 30 feet or so from our open window), and, for at least an hour between 3:30 and 4:30 AM had drunk and gratingly loud interactions. After pregnancy reorganized my organs and motherhood rewired my brain, any time I wake up now, I do it to the fullest. I wake up wide awake. We closed our windows and cooled our air electronically, but somehow the group of revelers managed to get louder. I told Dan to go give them a good, 야! 하지마! (Hey! Stop!), but he thought better of it.

What I really wonder is why the guy squatting in the rooftop storage closet didn't tell them to shut up. A couple months ago, after putting the laundry out to dry, Joash and I started to notice this guy hanging out in a closet with the door cracked, watching TV. I just figured he was a lazy janitor. Then we noticed he'd installed some mosquito netting, leaving wide open his door so we could spy the bedding on the floor and some clothes hanging behind the TV. Then we noticed he'd carved a hole out of the door and installed some sort of circulation fan. Anyhow, I just wonder why this roof dweller didn't kick the drunk kids off his lawn.

No comments:

Post a Comment