Monday, June 17, 2013

Something Sweeter

All it took was two nights in the crib, and the poor kid's back to normal. Sometimes you don't realize you're rushing your baby out of babyhood until he tells you he's just not quite a big boy yet. And I'm pretty sure that's every mother's dream.

Anyhow, it's hot like fire outside these days, so, while we do our playground hour in the afternoon shade of the high rise apartments (seriously, we have to wait until 1:30 so the apartment adjacent to the park casts a long enough shadow to cool down all the slides), we also spend plenty of time sitting on the floor in front of a fan. I rarely leave the house with any intention of being looked at, but I had to meet Dan for lunch so we could apply for the Go Eun Mom Card. I still don't understand why, but Korea gives all mothers in the country a debit card with free money on it, even immigrant mothers, to offset the costs of pre-natal care and delivery. I make-upped my face for the occasion, and I decided to take advantage of it once we got home by taking some belly shots. Joash was really excited about the tripod and the "pickuhs, pickuhs," so he's in some too. 

This girl belly (here between 33 and 34 weeks) is so much bigger than my boy belly was, and I am amazed how differently they've behaved as fetal babies. Joash was like shoes tumbling in a dryer, but the girl is more like an inside-out massage chair. And she always seems to be awake! Every watch of the night, she's in there kicking around. Maybe it's cause Joash is so noisy. I think she's already getting used to rough housing because her brother is constantly climbing up onto my chest and sliding down my belly. He sure does love a baby, though. We were at a friend's house, and she was wearing her baby as she fell asleep, and Joash reached up and said, "share?," which is what he says when he wants to take a turn. He's about to have plenty of turns. I hope he's ready for it.
 










 He couldn't figure out why I was asking him to touch my belly.


 This was his best compromise.




We made the same face. We win.

2 comments:

  1. Cara (our 2nd) is much more laid-back than Shea, and I'm pretty sure it's because I had Shea crawling all over my belly and being loud and crazy the whole time I was pregnant, so she was used to it. At this moment Cara is sleeping soundly in the same room where Shea is fighting sleep and screaming at the top of her lungs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is both encouraging and discouraging. I can totally envision the same scenario. Joash has always been such a pill about sleep. I bet he'll be in the crib still by the time his sister is ready for a real bed.

    All you friends with two kids already are my heroes. I am drawing on your bravery as our delivery draws nigh.

    ReplyDelete